Who are the Friends?
- To promote the development of the Fallowfield Loop greenway and routes that link to it.
- To promote and support the use of the route by an appropriate variety of groups and individuals.
- To represent the interests of its members and other users of the Loop in relations with other statutory and voluntary bodies.
Achieving the objects of the ‘Friends’ covers a wide variety of activities connected to the use of the Loop. ‘Friends’ members are involved in a number of areas, such as:
- Lobbying the Loop’s partners, local councillors, MPs and others on issues connected to the route, such as funding, signing, maintenance and promotion.
- Promoting the Loop to potential users such as schools (as a ‘Safe Route to School’) and Manchester City F.C. (for use as a route for supporters to get to matches at the stadium).
- Publicising the route and activities taking place on it, via the local press and radio.
- Organising promotional events such as Health Walks and Pedalling Picnics.
- Removing glass and other debris from the tarmac – a number of Friends have each ‘adopted’ a short section of the Loop which they inspect and maintain regularly.
- Cleaning up the route – we hold regular ‘clean-up days’, when we remove litter from the route.
- Planting – we aim to enhance the natural habitats on the Loop by, for example, planting suitable shrubs and wild flowers and putting up bat boxes.